Q: What are some underrated mountain bike parts?
A: Here is a list of six underrated, quality parts (and a bike) you may or may not know about.
6. Sunline XC-1 Stem – While Thomson receives all the buzz for being the best stem, there is an underrated competitor in the [amazon-product region=”us” text=”Sunline XC-1 stem” type=”text”]B002AAAODQ[/amazon-product]. Sunline, who has been making quality motocross parts for many years, makes a lightweight, aluminum stem that can hang with anyone. In both black and a sexy dark grey, this stem adds some bling to anyone’s horse. +/- 6 degree rise and in 90, 100, or 110 mm length, it is sure to fit your XC needs.
5. Shimano SLX Cranks – Everyone likes Shimano cranks, no doubt, but the SLX series is truly an underrated crank. Available in both a three chainring (FC-M660) and a dual chainring (FC-M665) with bash guard, these attractive two-tone cranks are stiff, affordable, and offer steel pedal inserts.
4. GT Peace 9r – When looking for a nice, rigid, single-speed 29er, the Redline Monocog tends to be one of the most recommended bikes, and for good reason (I have one and LOVE it). However, an often overlooked, solid, and fun bike is GT Peace 9r. Performance Bike has them for 20% off all the time, and if you become a “team member” you can save yourself an additional 10%. Not a bad deal for such a solid bike.
3. Luv Handles – No, not your love handles, Clyde, Groovy Cycle Works Luv Handlebars. While the On One Mary handlebars receive many accolades, some people like the idea, just not that much sweep. Enter the custom made Luv Handlebars. Built of 4130 aircraft steel or 3/2.5 Haynes Titanium, these bars sport a gentle 4 degree rise and a 21.5 degree back sweep, meeting the natural anatomic position of your wrist and hands to allow for reduced stress on the supportive structures resulting in all day comfort and control.
2. BBG Bashguard/Chainring – You don’t know you need a bashguard until it is too late. I have these on all of my bikes and love them. Simple. Inexpensive. The BBG bash is lightweight, strong, and looks great. You simply cannot go wrong with one.
1. TomiCOGs – So, you want to try fixed gear on your mountain bike (you’re crazy)? Looking to use mtb hubs in that fixed gear? Tired of lockring issues? Enter the TomiCog. Get this bolt-on cog for your wheelset and get back to simplicity. These are laser cut, Type 304 stainless steel 1/2″ pitch chain drive bicycle cogs. They are cut to match a standard 6-bolt mtn bike disc rotor mount. Laser etched tooth count and logo, ground tooth bevel.